Saturday, February 9, 2008

Interviewing

After reading several more than the two interviewing articles required for class I am required to respond. I find it odd that Professor Angie assumes (in her blog for this assignment) that we students won't need to interview for real until we graduate. Apparently most college students don't apply for summer internships (oh well, all the more jobs available for me to choose from). As a matter of fact, I've already been in several interviews and face many more in the next two weeks (searching for a summer internship).

Just to continue the negative feeling my last blog had, the article "Mastering the Interview" gave horrible advice. One paragraph title was Prepare Prepare Prepare. This may seem like a excellent thing, but in my experience the more effort I put into preparing for an interview the worse I do. There is a obvious amount of preparing that should be done. For example, Dressing up and doing everything necessary to look nice, researching the company/job position, and making sure that you have a few short stories about yourself ready to share for the obvious questions (for example, tell us about a time you failed/succeeded).To really show your strengths though, it is better to know yourself and not have yourself memorized . When you just state back what you have memorized employers can feel the unrealness and are less prone to hire you. The experiences you have on the resume are your's there is no need to memorize you, it should be natural to tell people about who you are and what you have done.

In an attempt to turn this blog into something positive I read the article "Worst-Case Scenario Survival Tactics for Job Seekers". I loved it. I was in the stumped question scenario with one of the first interviews I ever had. I tried buying time with a number of stalling techniques and I am glad I am not alone and that it is even considered a decent strategy (if done correctly of course).If I have taken nothing else away from this I now have some good ways to divert complete interview disaster.

Without wax,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol - I'm glad you got something out of the articles. i know that some of you have been through interviewing quite a bit, but others haven't. Kind of depends on the major. Stalling techniques are fabulous though because it's really easy to be temporarily stumped by a question and accidentally sound like Miss Teen SC on YouTube. =o)